Keeping in mind our 2014 Quarter 4 focus of “Living Sustainably-Repurpose,” during Christmas, the Engineering team and Housekeeping team used the old water bottles and cans from guest rooms to make a Christmas tree that was approximately 16 feet high.
We wanted to create awareness among Team Members, guests, and the community about reducing, reusing, and recycling. Our Team Members not only reused waste, but also saved money. The combined efforts of our Engineering and Housekeeping teams saved the hotel about INR 75,000 (approximately US $1,200).
Some interesting facts about the tree:
1. 10 days to build the tree
2. 20 Team Members involved to build it
3. 30 rolls of cello tape to hold the tree together
4. 40 garbage bags to collect bottles and cans
5. 50 x 10 = 500 pieces of tape to stick the bottles together
6. 60 days spent collecting materials
7. 70 x 10 + 7,000 old water bottles were used
8. 80 meter rope lights to decorate the tree
9. 90 x 10 square foot area to store the bottles
10. 100 x 100 INR – INR 10,000 (approximately US $60) total cost
Posted on Jan 15, 2015