We have utilized several of the ideas on the Recognition Calendar, starting with recognizing Maintenance Week. This also encouraged the Management team to develop a team building exercise for the entire staff. We called the activity Homewood Suites Davidson meets Iron Chef. The project was broken down into five activity days, and the fifth day was competition day. The project was organized as seen below.
- Day 1- Every Team Member was asked to write down one random ingredient of their choice.
- Day 2- We broke out the staff into three teams, making the management staff the team leaders. We handed out the random ingredients to each team. They were informed that they would need to began writing a recipe only using the ingredients that they were given.
- Day 3- They took this huddle time to write their recipe and develop a strategy.
- Day4- They assigned responsibilities and continued working on their recipes. They were also informed they were only allotted 30 minutes to complete their dish.
- Day 5- The recipes were completed and we had a celebration luncheon. The staff presented their dishes to their staff member and GM.
- This activity gave Team Members that don’t generaly work together the opportunity to exercise their team building strategies, problem resolution skills, creativity, time management skills, and demonstrate their ability to follow-instructed. The activity was a huge success and very impactful.
Posted on Jan 29, 2014